Skip to content

Ieuter Insurance Group Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Recreational Vehicles: How to Make Sure You Have Coverage

Did you know that most home and auto policies provide limited or no coverage for ATVs, snowmobiles, and dirt bikes if they are not specifically identified? Because of this it is extremely important to inform your agent of any recreational vehicles or toys you may have or have recently purchased. Most insurance companies will allow these items to be added to your home or auto policies. This does depend on the use, type and maximum speed of each vehicle. Coverage provided for your rec vehicle is called Bodily Injury & Property Damage, which pays for any injuries to people or damage to property caused by the rec vehicle.

You can also add comprehensive and collision coverage, just like with your personal cars! Comprehensive provides coverage for damage to your rec vehicle if it’s caused by an event other than a collision. Examples of this are: if the rec vehicle is damaged by fire, theft, vandalism, flooding or an animal. Collision coverage pays for damage from a collision with another rec vehicle. Also, please note that similar to your auto policy the insurance company will verify your driving record when adding a rec vehicle. The premium will be higher if there are any violations or claims.

The best way to make sure you are covered in the case of ANY loss is to call our office and check to see what is listed on your home and auto policies. If any of your toys are not scheduled, we can help!