Summer is an exciting time for everyone, especially kids! The end of school provides time for many children to have outdoors adventures, often away from direct adult supervision. Here are the top five things to teach your kids in order to help prevent accidents and injuries. It doesn't hurt to keep these in mind for yourself as well!
1. Leaves of three, let them be. Teach kids to identify and avoid plants like poison ivy, poison sumac, and poison oak.
2. Check for ticks-make sure to look behind ears, scalp, under the arms, and the groin area.
3. Practice sun smarts-the peak times are from 10-4. Limit or avoid direct sunlight during these peak times.
4. Practice water smarts-make sure there is proper supervision whenever around water.
5. Learn CPR-check with your local hospital or local chapter of the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.