Employment Related Practices coverage is often an overlooked or misunderstood type of insurance coverage. Business owners and managers typically feel that they have a good group of employees and that dishonesty would never be an issue. Sadly, things can change quickly and not everyone gets along all the time.
Below is a top ten list of charges handled be the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission):
- Retaliation: 42,018 (45.9% of all charges filed)
- Race: 32,309 (35.3%)
- Disability: 28,073 (30.7%)
- Sex: 26,934 (29.4%)
- Age: 20,857 (22.8%)
- National Origin: 9,840 (10.8%)
- Religion: 3,825 (4.2%)
- Color: 3,102 (3.4%)
- Equal Pay Act: 1,075 (1.2%)
- Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act: 238 (.3%)
Even small businesses are exposed. If you do not have this coverage, don’t be afraid to discuss this and any coverage with your friends in the insurance business.