Icicles can become very dangerous when they grow large, especially when they have a long distance to fall. Besides the risk of injuries and fatalities, large icicles falling with this force can cause significant property damage to your home, vehicles and business. Here are some tips to stay safe:
- Do not stand under structures with icicles. The weight of icicles can cause gutters, awnings, and ornamental features to collapse and fall from the building.
- Use a wooden pole that is long enough so that icicles may be knocked down without causing personal injury from standing beneath the icicles, or over extending your reach.
- Tap the icicles. Do not hit them with extensive force. Hitting the icicle to hard may cause building damage to the area where the icicle has formed. If the icicle does not break loose, contact a professional contractor to perform the removal work.
- Have large icicles removed by a contractor who will have the proper equipment to deal with the conditions.
- Never climb onto a snow or ice covered roof – you could slip.
- Never place a ladder directly against a gutter covered with ice or icicles.The pressure of the ladder against the gutter may cause the ice or icicles to dislodge, falling on the person or property below.
Stay safe this winter!